Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Final Post


Taking this class I have learned more about renaissance art and the different characteristics the works of art had. I like that art was used as propaganda to spread messages to others, I find it interesting we still do that today. My favorite part that we studied was the Northern renaissance art.
I liked the Northern renaissance art the most because of the naturalism used throughout the works. My favorite artist from this time was Jan Van Eyke. I really enjoyed his work of the “The Ghent Altarpiece”. I really like this work of art because there is so much detail and use of naturalism. I found it very interesting to see that Eyke took into account the lighting of the room where the work was to be displayed and he incorporated the light reflection into the gems. Another one of Eyke’s work I really liked was the “The Arnolfini Portrait”. I really like this piece again because of how natural the picture looks. I also like it for the great use of detail and the iconography in the painting. I think it’s fascinating that there are hidden symbols in the painting that have great meaning. For example the chandelier has only one candle on it and the lit candle over the husband might signify that he was still alive. While the traces of the other candle, hanging over the wife’s side, is to signify that she is deceased. Also there is great detail on the mirror in the background, from the reflection to the hidden symbolic biblical figures.
Another painting that I really liked was the “Birth of Venus” by Sandro Botticelli. I think I like this painting so much because it tells a story. Also naturalism is used in this painting as well an illusionism. There is so much movement and energy around Venus but yet her face is at a natural expression.
I also found it interesting that as we moved on to different time periods there were characteristics that were used in the past but then evolved into new characteristics. For example artists still used naturalism but then added more things that were idealized. Also Mannerist art came into play with elongated figures and unnatural poses. Then there was also baroque art that was interesting to me as well. I liked that there was more energy and drama shown with baroque art work. For example when we compared the two David statues done by Michelangelo and Bernini. I felt that was a great example to compare and show the characteristics of baroque art.
Going through the time periods really opened my eyes to new artists that I have not heard of and to see the different works of art that were created. I really like how much detail was put into creating paintings. I also really liked the hidden symbols in the paintings as well. It made me look harder throughout the paintings. I just hope one day in my life I am able to go and see the great works we have talked about in person. 

2 comments:

  1. It really is amazing that Jan van Eyck took into consideration the light source of the room the altarpiece was going to be displayed in and then incorporated that into the artwork! I also love the Birth of Venus. I think what is so intriguing about the piece is that there is quite a bit of chaos going on around Venus yet she remains unfazed and composed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Samantha, van Eyck was indeed a very important figure in northern renaissance art. His "Double Portrait of Giovanni Ornofini and Wife" that is on the cover of our text haunts me for some reason. I find the images very strange but then I see the little dog in the foreground looking straight at me as if it is a photograph? I also like how you related to all of the periods because to tell you the truth I didn't really have a favorite period but was more interested in the evolution of art as a whole rather than a piece.

    ReplyDelete